|April 24, 2012||Filled under Iraq Daily News|
The Iraqi ports of the oldest ports in the region, despite the lack of magical waterfront views that do not exceed 50 kilometers, which extends from the top of FAO to the entrance of the Khawr Abd Allah, to the port of Mubarak of Kuwait in the direction of the port of Umm Qasr, and then to the port of Khor Al-Zubair, as has the State of Kuwait, the For example, in the face area of the Gulf is estimated at 500 km.
Known port umbrella term that he building will be built on the coast of water (river, lake, sea, ocean) is used for docking, and contains the equipment for loading and unloading of various goods, also contains warehouses and docks and maritime assistance of naval operations varied (small boats, Catchers, excavators and cranes ).
There are other types of ports vary for use, such as ports oil specialized for loading and unloading of oil Kamiinai Basra (pristine previously) and Jurabrih, and there are private ports cargo as ports stronghold of Umm Qasr and Abu Flus, in addition to the ports of fishing characterized by Bmkhasenh chilled, port tax collector next to the area Aldakir that they contain gliding Old (Railway extended from the coast to withdraw the vessel was to land by electrical giant cranes for the necessary maintenance). There is machinery and equipment according to the quality of the load, Ktfrig containers, and load bulk (grain, sugar, etc.) note that Singapore and the Netherlands were both had the largest ports in the world, but the city of Shanghai, China topped the list of ports the largest in the world.
Perhaps the scale is more important to the large port is the ability to absorb more number of ships of various sizes and types. Another type of ports, dry ports known as a natural extension of the main ports, and are often close, so as to store and deliberation of various goods to reduce the momentum of the main port. The ports are berths for ships, boats and yachts, and are usually free of the mechanisms of charging and discharging.
Port contains modern and integrated on the sidewalks of multi-purpose to receive the different types of ships such as moving passengers and transport containers and cars, as well as the transfer of cargo bulk and other goods, in addition to other ships multiple purposes.
It could be argued that the possibility of a single port to be ready to receive ships by creating a variety of platforms and mechanisms for loading and unloading operations. For example, it is possible that the port receives container ships and cargo bulk and cargo, and there are sidewalks ready to receive the cars of all kinds, with places large and secure parking and storage in order to preserve them, as well as special vessels transporting passengers. The main feature of shelves fit on the lounge and spacious and equipped, in addition to the passport office to complete the entry and exit of passengers. As for fishing vessels would need to be special port be close to markets, and contains a refrigerated warehouses, and sometimes the factory for canning fish.
Either ports for tankers of oil is preferable to be far away from the cities to keep the potential dangers of occurrence such as fire, etc., it is advisable to be platforms for those ports in the depth of sea within the territorial waters of the country. table reviews the Iraqi ports and the most important characteristics
Name foot depth of the port if the port of Basra port (formerly virgin) oil 197 321 a good
port of Umm Qasr 1965 9.75 commercial center of the port of Khor Al-Zubair 197 012 central
stronghold of Port 1919 is a little bad a specific port of Abu Flus 1975 Unknown few bad the old port of Faw 1956 10.65 careless Khor al-Amaya oil 196 120 good old port of Basra 19,198 neglected
According to the schedule the past and we can see the map provided the Iraqi ports and their tragic, these ports have suffered from neglect and vandalism due to the policy of Saddam’s regime and his wars, as Iraq has seen the biggest destruction of the marine structure. Because initially the dramatic to the Iraq war – Iran in 1980, has not been possible for ships anchored in Iraqi ports to leave the Iraqi territorial waters, and has been neglected in Iraqi waters for the duration of the war, which lasted about eight years, and thus became the ship is cut huge steel anchored in the water Iraq, and many of them drowned in Iraqi waters depth is simple to cause pollution of the marine environment and obstruction of vessels and flow in the shipping lanes, in addition to the suspension of drilling operations and marine survey for the period, which compounded the disaster that befell the Iraqi Navy.
After the announcement that war chapters concluding in 1988, neglected several ports, naval operations and was confined to the ports of Umm Qasr and Khor al-Zubair and oil ports. After less than two years of work on the rehabilitation of ports, the country entered the tunnel dark unaccounted for after Saddam’s invasion of Kuwait in August in the year 1990 and the outcome of the situation in Iraq in general, and his freedom, in particular, as it was sinking and damaging many ships and oil tankers through the second Gulf war because of Saddam’s use the principle of setting fire to the sea after pumping oil from the tanker to the waters of the Gulf, to float a layer of sticky black hard separated and processed at the time, happens to its disposal the largest environmental disaster reckless freedom witnessed the times.
By the end of the war after the pull regime forces from Kuwait by the military is huge, and the signing of Safwan famous, the United Nations imposed on the country’s total siege, to reap the Iraqi Navy share of neglect and underdevelopment, as it neglected the port and stopped naval operations have become cadres marine unemployed and marginalized does not operate properly and the fundamentals are correct, and confined to the task of the system in how to oil smuggling and exploitation of its revenue to build presidential palaces and the development of organs of repression against the people, and the purchase of receivables and the consciences of mercenaries from Arab and foreign, especially in media organizations, in a desperate attempt to glorify the regime and to justify his approach bloody against the Iraqis.
Since 2003, specifically After the fall of the regime, the Iraqi ports have seen a number of significant changes, but they were not at the level worthy of Iraq the capabilities of human and material. The steps the reform did not live up to the level of ambition sought by concerned and which have competence. Perhaps this reluctance is due to quite a few of the reasons, the most important unresolved security file for the benefit of stability and the deterioration of services and administrative corruption. File dredger «good» is the best proof of corruption, as well as typical cranes (cranes used to lift containers and be on the high prices) and recurrent problems, which cause delays in loading and unloading operations, a twisted way to blackmail the carrier.
Add the amounts of bribes to the price of cost borne by the usually the citizen directly, in addition to the intervention of political parties in the affairs of ports and their work, which lacks professionalism and ability to develop and Development, so that did not reach to the Department of General Company for Iraqi Ports figures the level of administrative and professional Eliqon this institution which is one of the the oldest institutions in Iraq.
In order to improve the ports of Iraq to reach the production level course, it is necessary to take the following steps:
- buy at least 4 excavator giant capacity of 10 thousand tons to reach the depths that could enable the port to receive large ships after the delivery of shipping lanes to the depths required.
- Buy a barge crane the ability of lifting up to 3500 tons to lift Aguarq of corridors, thereby enabling large ships from sailing safely and access to ports all without problems up to a critical stage.
- Buy 4 ships giant container transport as the most important step in the promotion of commercial transport to and from Iraq.
- Purchase At least of 4 giant oil tankers of not less than the smallest of 350 thousand tons to transport Iraqi oil to international ports, which will enhance the ability of professional Iraqi cadres to keep up with progress in this area and not to rely on countries in the use of delivery vehicles, because the process of transport cost large sums of money.
- Buy 2 of tractors large capacity of not less than 6 thousand horse and multi-purpose to combat marine pollution that may result from leakage of fuel and oils to the water, which sometimes leads to environmental disaster, a large can not be easily controlled, if not taken the necessary steps required in a short time .
- Training and staff development of marine and re-integrated into the work on the high seas and oceans, because the interruption of maritime cadres from continuing her career, will make such an ignorant everything gets made a technical and artistic in its field practice.
- create private ports to fish marine equipped stores chilled and distributed in the cities of FAO , stronghold, tax collector, which was supposed to meet the needs of the markets in most of Iraq’s provinces, if used as the scientific sense, especially since Iraq has a huge amount and variety of fish.
- building a suspension bridge talk linking the two parts of the Shatt al-Arab near the center of Basra, and the removal of all bridges old, dilapidated, to help energize the movement flow for all ships to all ports and harbors along the Shatt al-Arab and revived again to revive the economic and tourism of the country.
- To encourage maritime cadres and administrative labor and productive through incentives, allowances and training in developed countries, which contribute to competition in the revival of the work maritime cadres on board the ships of various sizes and multiple tasks.
- Purchase of equipment freely and ships to assist the port services being available does not fill the urgent need for ports.
- Development of maintenance work for all vessels and the reconstruction of shipyard floating and find alternative modern.
- Monument pumps eyedropper of waste in the Shatt al-Arab to collect waste and cleaned easily.
- get rid of all the sunken ships in Iraqi waters and send them after cutting into smelting plants to benefit them and reduce environmental pollution.
No different specialists of the Iraqi and Kuwaiti that the Port Mubarak, Kuwait’s narrow side of the waterway leading to the ports of the Iraqi Khawr Abd Allah in the direction of the ports of Umm Qasr and Khor al-Zubair, and it is therefore likely to be built in the northern part of the island of Bubiyan Kuwait for the island of Warba Kuwait, and be internally (Hozia). And the establishment of the basin as is the case in most developed countries, will shorten the time and cost, so that the docks are not in need of drilling operations and maintenance of a permanent, in order to reverse and distancing itself from dredging operations and other natural effects.
Also that the construction of docks will all the problems of marine and regional relationship between the two countries, especially since Iraq on the verge of a major development in the maritime field, if followed and the Department of Transportation the right direction for the development of Iraqi ports in proportion to the economic capacity and development of Iraq after 2003.
I think that on Iraq proceed to build a port of Faw is a large basin within the city of FAO, and thus be expanded port and reduce the cost of breakwater (rock wall at the entrance of ports praises to protect it from waves and weather that impede the work of the port of loading and unloading). Be constructed in this way will facilitate and increase the area and its ability to accommodate the largest possible number of sidewalks and stores, as well as the possible construction of basins of many for the repair and maintenance of ships, including known basins dry, in addition to the ease of linking lines of railway to deliver goods to all the cities of Iraq and the Arab countries and regional. Perhaps the map below.
Related Iraqi Articles-